A family of three last Friday died after taking dinner in Azikoro area of Yenagoa, Bayelsa State.
A source told journalists yesterday that the deceased, suspected to have taken poisonous food, went to bed and did not wake up the following day.
Residents said they forced the door open only to find their bodies after which they reported the incident to the Azikoro Police Division.
“They slept on Friday and did not wake up, the man used to drive a keke (tricycle) and he wakes up daily before 5am. So, we were surprised that his keke was still parked outside in the afternoon.
“We knocked at their door and got no feedback. So, we forced the door open and had to rush to the police station to report what we saw and they took the landlord for questioning and they have been investigating,” a resident said.
The leader of the Enugu Development Association in the state, Chief Chinedu Arthur-Ugwa, told Daily Trust that the remains of the deceased, who hailed from Enugu, had been taken home for burial.
“We call on the law enforcement agencies to unravel the cause of this strange death,” Arthur-Ugwa said
Police spokesman in the state, DSP Asinim Butswat, confirmed the incident and said it was being investigated.
He said: “It is a case of sudden and unnatural death. On September 21, 2018 at about 15.40hrs, the landlord of the deceased reported the case. He said the deceased one Orji Igwenta male 35 a native of Ozallah community in Nkanu West LGA of Enugu State and a keke rider was found dead with the wife Mrs Nkem Igwenta, 34.
“Also found dead with them is Obinna Ogbani, male, aged 10, a brother to Orji Igwenta. He said even a rat which is suspected to have eaten the same poisoned food with the family also died.”