At least one person has died as a result of storms that have hit KwaZulu-Natal.
Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs (Cogta) MEC Nomusa Dube-Ncube on Monday conveyed her condolences to the Zungu family in the King Cetshwayo district municipality, where a family member was electrocuted and died, while another has been hospitalised when a tree fell on to electricity wires.
“This tragic incident which took place on Saturday is yet another reminder of the unnecessary loss of life that our province suffers every year as a result of inclement weather conditions. Our disaster management teams are in contact with the family to provide the necessary support,” said Dube-Ncube.
“We have also issued a warning to communities that more rains are expected which might lead to localised flooding along the province’s coast today and along the north coast tomorrow. This warning comes as the province has commenced with mop-up operations following three days of heavy rains and strong gale force winds that have caused numerous weather-related incidents across KZN.”
Dube-Ncube said communities had been urged to take extreme caution, as inclement weather poses a great danger to residents of low-lying areas.
“We urge communities to be vigilant and not cross rivers and bridges in low-lying areas. Our province has seen cases where cars and people got swept away while trying to cross low-lying bridges. This leads to unnecessary loss of life,” said Dube-Ncube.
Disaster management teams are on alert, and schools are urged to take stock of the weather before embarking on excursions.
“Our disaster teams have logged and responded to several incidents in Ugu, eThekwini, Richards Bay and Ladysmith, which impacted on both public infrastructure and private property and disrupted lives in most parts of the province.
“Our interim assessments reveal that houses have had their roofs blown away and trees had fallen over and blocked roads to damage property and vehicles,” said Dube-Ncube.