Kerosene explosion kills female lawmaker in Abia

0

By Ugochukwu Alaribe

ABA— A female councillor in Obingwa Local Government Legislative Council, Abia State, Mrs Obioma Ali, has died over multiple burns she sustained from a kerosene explosion at her home.

Ali, who represents Isiala Itu, Ward 12, was said to have been refilling her lantern with kerosene when the substance, suspected to have been adulterated, exploded and burnt her badly.

Family sources told Vanguard that the incident affected her hands, face and other parts ofher body.

The lawmaker reportedly died at Abia State University Teaching Hospital, ABSUTH, Aba, where she had been receiving attention.

Chairman of the Obingwa Local Government Area, Chief Hanson Amaechi, during a condolence visit to the deceased’s family, said her death had created a vacuum in the struggle for female political representation in the area, stressing that she died at a time her experience was highly needed.

Amaechi added that the councillor, who was the deputy chief whip and chairman, Committee for Women Affairs, would be missed as a foremost PDP woman leader who contributed to the success of the party in the area.



Culled from here

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.